Refine search by:


Property Type

Or select a site

Subsidies and funding

For many, the first step towards determining the most appropriate type of care is to arrange a ‘needs assessment’ through your local district health board.

The needs assessment appointment will determine the appropriate level of support, and therefore what funding you or your loved one is entitled to.

Depending on your eligibility, funding and subsidies are available for many aged care services in New Zealand including rest home, hospital or dementia care, as well as short-term respite, day activity programmes or health recovery care following illness or injury.

Where to from here?

The following information is intended to help you work through the process of finding out if you or your family member is eligible for the Government’s aged care funding. However, everyone’s situation is different and the information here should be used as a guide only.

Independent retirement living

Government subsidies are not available for Enliven’s retirement villages and apartments. These are ‘purchased’ through a Licence to Occupy. Click here to read more about Enliven’s retirement villages and apartments. 

Enliven also offer a small number of rental retirement units, which are adjacent to some of our rest homes. This is independent living, and you would probably not qualify for subsidy through the DHB. However, if you’re getting NZ Super or a pension and you don’t have enough money for rent, you may qualify for accommodation supplement from Work and Income.

Arranging a ‘needs assessment’ appointment

The Needs Assessment and Service-Coordination service (NASC) is contracted by your local district health board to assess your needs and eligibility for subsidised support services such as rest home, hospital or dementia care, respite or day activity programmes.

You can request this assessment, or the request can come from a doctor, family member or carer.

You can find a list of NASC teams on the Ministry of Health website.

A NASC assessor will visit you and your family to discuss your needs and the types of support services available.

Respite and carer support

Enliven Central’s health support and carer relief services include short-term residential respite and health recovery care, engaging day activity programmes, modified Tai Chi mobility support classes and a discreet continence product service.

Funding is often available for respite, health recovery care and day programmes. Enliven’s modified Tai Chi classes and continence products will need to be paid for privately, although the cost is already subsidised by Enliven.

Carer support subsidy

A carer support subsidy provides financial assistance for residential respite and or day programmes in order to give the family carer (unpaid full-time carer) a break from their caregiving role.  The subsidy contributes toward the cost of respite or a day programme for a specific number of days per year.

Residential care

If you’ve been assessed as needing long-term residential care in a hospital, dementia or rest home you may be eligible for a Residential Care Subsidy. That’s a contribution (full or part) towards the cost of your care.

Applying for a Residential Care Subsidy

If you need rest home or hospital care services, the NASC coordinator will give you a Needs Assessment Certificate and a Residential Care Subsidy Application Form.

You’ll need to complete the subsidy application and send it to Work and Income. (Their details are provided on the application form.)

Work and Income will then complete a ‘financial means’ assessment which looks at how much money you and your spouse earn and any money or assets you have. Work and Income will then let you know whether you’re eligible for subsidy.

For more information you can download the Long-term Residential Care for Older People: What you need to know publication from the Ministry of Health website.

Choosing a home

You can choose any rest home, hospital or dementia care service you like, as long as it’s approved by your district health board to offer the care you require. All of Enliven’s homes are approved by their local DHBs.

We know that choosing a home can be difficult; there are lots of things to take into account. We suggest you visit the home to get a feel for the place. Think about the atmosphere, the staff and other residents, the location and the philosophy of care. Take a tour of the rest home and speak with the manager and staff. All of this will help you to make a decision.

Of course, we’d love for you to visit us and see if an Enliven Central home is right for you. Enliven Central offers a range of rest home, hospital and dementia care services across the lower North Island.